Safe Migration Campaign and Capacity Strengthening of the Anti-Trafficking Task Force and Migrant Worker Training Centres in East Nusa Tenggara (NTT).
The Indonesian Ministry of Manpower and the Provincial Government of NTT declared a state of emergency in 2015 due to the increasing number of trafficking cases and victims in the area. In most cases, agencies or recruiters use fraud, deceptions and other similar means to entrap their victims. Lack of information is still seen as one of the main factors that contribute to the non-procedural departure of many NTT migrant workers, leaving them vulnerable to exploitation.
On September 2015, OTMI began a safe migration campaign in East Nusa Tenggara supported by the Indonesian Red Cross (PMI), the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) and the European Union (EU). The campaign was carried out in the regencies of Kupang, Timor Tengah Selatan, Belu, Sumba Barat Daya (South West Sumba), and Sumba Barat (West Sumba).
To tackle these issues, we have carried out several prototypes consisting of:
• Production of a training kit consisting of the safe migration video “Mimpi Beta” (My Dream) and a facilitator guidebook containing information on safe migration and human trafficking
• Training of Facilitators for over 250 junior high school teachers and local CSO staff/volunteers
• Socialisations for over 30,000 people (junior high school students and the general public)
• Regency-level public screenings of Mimpi Beta followed by discussions
• Workshops for strengthen cooperation between members of the NTT Provincial Anti-Trafficking Task Force
• Equipping the NTT Provincial Training Center to train prospective migrant workers with domestic skills
In order to carry out these activities, OTMI has partnered with local stakeholders such as the NTT Provincial Education Office and the CSOs CIS Timor (Kupang & Belu), Sanggar Suara Perempuan (Timor Tengah Selatan), Yayasan Pengembangan Kemanusiaan Donders (Sumba), and Rumah Perempuan Kupang. The project will end in February 2017.
Access our resources through the links below:
- To watch the Safe Migration Video “Mimpi Beta” (My Dream) HERE
- Download OTMI’s Safe Migration Facilitator Guidebook HERE